Write about a subject you are passionate about
It’s better to start a niche website that you like and have knowledge about then building a niche site you dislike. Bloggers who start a site only for money almost never succeed. It’s easier to write about a subject you are familiar with and it gives you more power to stay focused and reach your goal. Another advantage is that you don’t need to dig deeper for searching information that will result in loss time.
Get your own domain name
The next thing to do is to buy your own domain name. My advice is not to go for a free domain name that you can get at blogger.com, weebly.com, wordpress.org or any other free domain service. These domain names are difficult to rank for any keyword and in the eyes of your readers it looks less professional. It’s way better to start your own domain name so you have control over it. Your domain name is your brand that you will need to promote on the internet. It doesn’t cost much. You can buy a domain name between 4-10$ a year. At this moment 1and1 has a promotion on .com domain names for only $4.99 included ican fee and private protection.
After buying a domain name you need to have hosting. Godaddy has great hosting solutions starting at $4.99 a month for economy hosting and if you need to host more then one site they offer the deluxe hosting for $8.99 per month. I recommend to buy the yearly package so that you will receive a domain name for only $1.99 and save also 29% on the monthly price.
Many times you hear the following: “I can’t update my website” , “I don’t know how to add new content to the site” , “I need to hire an expert to add content but i don’t have the resources to do so”. These are some of the frustations you would here from webmasters in the past, but this is no over since wordpress came in the spotlight.
The best way to start a blog is by using a cms called WordPress. This is the most used cms worldwide because it’s easy to change content, it’s fast and secure.
- SEO – WordPress cms is allready search engine optimised for the web. This means you only need to add content and build backlinks. No more worrries about hiring someone that needs to do the onpage seo for you. You just need to install a plugin called wordpress seo or all in one seo plugin and the best thing they are all for free. That’s it!
- Content – if you are not a html savy like many out there you need to have wordpress installed on your website. You don’t have to learn html anymore, no more hiring someone for small changes to your site that cost you money. You can easily update your content by the click of a button. It has a wysiwyg editor which means you can immediately see how the page will look like the second you start typing your post. Once you setup WordPress, you will be able to create new pages easily or edit existing pages using a simple rich text editor.
- Plugins – WordPress has been downloaded millions of times. Developers all over the world have created plugins and themes to make money out of it. But there are also many plugins and themes who do a great job and are offered for free. You just need to figure out which theme you like and which plugin you need for your business. The problem of hiring a programmer or a webdesigner is no more.
- Support – WordPress has a big support forum where users and developers meet each other. If you have a problem or a solution to a problem you can discuss that over there. They will then help you solve your problem.
- One-click-solution – Many big hosting providers offer a one click solution. The only thing you need to do is go to your cpanel and click the install button.
You can install wordpress through your cpanel. After installing wordpress you need to start doing keyword research.
The basis of starting any website is doing good keyword research. There are still many webmasters out there that start a website without doing proper keyword research. If you don’t do this accurate it will be very hard to rank for your keywords. Your goal is to have as many visitors that convert, right? We will discuss the subject keyword research in another post.
After doing keyword research you need to start writing about subjects. At this moment you have your keywords organised in an excel sheet but you don’t know where to start. You can start by writing about your main keyword and then go further down the list. Each page that has a secondary keyword need to have a link with anchor text back to the homepage where your main keyword is situated. Now add categories to your blog. For example, if your site is about SEO, make categories like: linkbuilding strategies, onpage seo, seo software, etc.
Update your blog often
To be honest, if you are not dedicated starting a blog , then don’t. You need to keep focus, organise, work hard and put your dedication in a blog otherwise it won’t succeed. It’s hard to read this but this is the real world. So give your readers updated posts. You don’t have to do this each day. Once or twice a week is fine, as long as you commit yourself to update your blog. Try to schedule your post updates. This is good for you because each page gets its own visitors which results in more visitors for the blog itself. This is also good in the eyes of google because you will get more notice from other visitors and even rank higher.
How to Monetize blog
When you are ready getting in around 50 unique visitors a day you can start monetising your blog by adding Google adsense ads on your site. For each click you can get between 0.10-4$. It all depends on the keyword research you have done. A normal CTR will be around 3%. Let’s assume you have 50 unique visitors a day and a CPC (=Cost Per Click) of $0.80 you will receive monthly: 50x30x0.03×0.80= $36. This is not much but if you scale your promotion online you can earn alot more. We will talk about promotion in another post.
Adsense is not the only way to monetize a site. You can use many other advertising companies like bidvertiser, clickbank products, amazon products, infolinks and many more. Try to mix these sources up in your site.
To have a succesfull blog you need to have targeted visitors (returning readers). Give these readers information they want and write your posts for the readers not for the search engines. Many times i see bloggers who write for google instead for their readers. It looks ugly and sometimes it’s not even readible. Always check your spelling when you write a post. Take your time to do a spell check and see if your post is readible or not. Another way to build a good relationship is to reply on the comments of your readers as soon as possible. Interaction is very important between reader and blogger. Also try to visit the commenters blog and see if he/she has posts that interest you and leave your comment there. They will be glad you visited their website and tell others about yours through social bookmarks, social media or any other way.